Matt and I took Derek to a spring training game Padres vs Diamondbacks. Aunt Valeri watched Rylie so the game would be enjoyable for everyone! It was a gorgeous day for a baseball game. Matt took Derek last year (Rylie was a week old) and Derek liked the game, but was more excited about running up and down the grass hill. This year, Derek sat on Matt's lap and watched the game intently. He asked questions and listened to Matt explain what happened with each play. It was amazing to see his focus! Just before the 9th inning when the Padres were warming up in the field, I saw an outfielder turn towards the grass with a ball in his hand. I stood up with my hands out (suggesting that he throw me the ball) and he threw me the ball. I wasn't really even thinking he would throw the ball, but he did and I caught it and handed it to Derek. It was such a cool moment for Matt and I to watch Derek take that ball and look it over and hold onto it so tightly. Derek was in awe of the baseball. His face was so precious and I was overcome with emotion at how such a simple, dirty, beat up, ball could mean so much to a little boy. It was a memorable day for our family. I can only imagine how this event has fueled Derek's love of baseball even more. :)
"Look Mommy, I got a real baseball from the players."
The whole way home Derek kept telling us that he got a "real baseball from the players."
Derek slept with his baseball that night. Here he is Day 2 with his baseball and it hasn't left his hand!




No comments:
Post a Comment