Thursday, April 08, 2010

Dusting Off the Bread Machine

I brought our bread machine out of the closet today to make some GF bread. Back when I was first diagnosed with Celiacs (6 years ago), the only bread I would eat was my homemade bread. So I thought I'd give it another try. I found the GF bread making book at the library and then made a trip to Whole Foods for all the ingredients. The bread turned out great, but definitely did not taste as good as I remembered. I have enough flour to make a couple more loaves of bread so we'll see what I can add to make the bread taste better. I did the math with the ingredients hoping that I would save a lot of money with each loaf compared to the GF bread I regularly buy, but sadly the homemade GF bread was $0.50 per slice, while the Whole Foods GF bread was $0.56 per slice. Not enough of a savings to make me want to make the bread on a regular basis. At least there are many more great options these days. Thankfully, much has changed in the Gluten Free world in 6 years.



1 comment:

Sarah said...

At least it looks pretty! :)