Monday, February 12, 2018

Homeschool fun!

I am so grateful that I LOVE teaching and I LOVE my kids. Homeschooling has been such a gift. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with my kids. It definitely has its challenges, but this whole 5 month experience of living in Australia wouldn't be possible without homeschooling. It is so neat to be a part of and see first hand all that they are learning. Can't wait to see what else is to come.

Here are some sweet memories from our time together.


Working on subtracting with regrouping using base-10 blocks. 
 Writing her spelling words, which are actually the first grade words. Derek can correctly spell all the first grade words so he chooses his own spelling words based on what he wants to learn to spell. 
Rylie's writing sample for February was about an animals she had seen at the zoo. She chose to write about the Dingo, which was her favorite animal when we visited the Healesville Sanctuary. I love how she writes her name in cursive.

Derek's writing sample for February was about a place he wants to visit. He chose to write about the Great Barrier Reef, which is somewhere he wants to visit while we are here in Australia.

Derek and Rylie have been excited to write their own books. Rylie combined the characters from her 2 favorite Australian series (Ella and Olivia and Lulu Bell) to make her own book. She even used the word "Mum," since that's how Australians say they word Mom. This is another advantage of homeschooling is lots of opportunity for creativity and free writing and time to do what they kids want.

 Derek wrote his book about the way Hiccup got his dragon.


No comments: