Saturday, April 02, 2011

Godparents
Matt and I asked Patrick and Katie to be Derek's Godparents on Pat's birthday (3-26-11). Traditionally, my family picks godparents for each child, but Matt's family does not. So Matt and I had to think through what godparents meant to us, not wanting to follow tradition just for tradition's sake. We asked Patrick and Katie to be Derek's Godparents because we wanted Derek to have specific people who would be committed to intentionally investing in his life and who would be like second parents to him. We are thrilled that Pat and Kate said yes! We are grateful for the role that you will play in Derek's life.
(Random side note - when we asked them if they would fulfill this role I reminded Patrick of a voice mail he left on my phone several years ago that said, "Let me guess why you called...you are pregnant and you want me to be the godfather!" I have always loved that message.)

No comments: