Friday, October 21, 2011

Special Mama Memories
Tonight was a night that I want to remember for years to come. Matt has been out of town for a conference for a couple of days. Derek and I were watching some videos on my phone from the park when Derek was going down the slide laughing hysterically. Matt was in the video too. As we watched the video, Derek would get so excited to see Matt and would saying "Dadda, Dadda, Dadda" enthusiastically while tapping the phone on Matt's picture. When the video would end he would sign "more." We'd watch the video again and Derek would do the same thing. He was clearly missing his Daddy and it was precious to watch him get so excited about seeing him on the video. I wish Matt could have seen Derek's response to the video. Derek was very upset when I told him it was time for bed and cried hard as I carried him up the stairs to his room. We read stories and I put him down for the night. As I closed the door Derek cried and cried and cried, which is not normal for Derek. There are only a handful of times when we have gone in to Derek's room after putting him down for the night. But I could sense that something was different tonight. I went back into his room and picked him up out of the crib. We sat in the rocking chair and I sang to him for about 30 minutes. It was a precious time for me. Derek was so content to just sit in my lap (he rarely sits still). After rocking him for a while I held him and sang. He placed his head on my shoulder and I could hear his breathing relax and become rhythmic. It was a moment I want to remember forever. I love my son and love my husband even more. I am so grateful that Derek LOVES Matt and Matt loves Derek and values spending time with him.

1 comment:

The Hursts said...

OMGosh!!! I just saw your "its a girl" post... I'm soooooo happy for you, as I know the unfathomable joy of having a daughter. She will be the most amazing sweet baby girl, just you wait! I would totally let you borrow some of the cutest little girl clothes... if only we lived closer :-(

Oh, and thanks for sharing that sweet intimate moment of you and your precious Derek. We must stop and soak those moments in. Love you!